Latest Posts

BEWARE: Eating whole grapes can cause choking

By 3:11:00 PM ,



A mother from East Yorkshire shared in her facebook the horrific story of her 2-year-old son Jake turning blue after a grape became stuck in his throat.


Sophie Jackson posted a photo the proper way of slicing grapes before giving them to young children and storytelling why her son rushed to the hospital. "I have being told by the doctors and nurses he zis extremely lucky to be alive and as well as he is. Jake is home and well with just trauma to his throat." Sophie sincerely reminds people to slice their children's grapes. "I am posting this to once again spread the dangers in the food most children love. Please cut your child's grapes. Please tell everyone to cut your child's grapes. Nothing is worth the risk of losing them."(See full story here)

There are other moms who shared their heartbreaking stories related with choking on grapes. Last October, a two-year-old toddler Little Jacob Jenkins suffered a tragic fate when he ate the fruit in a Pizza Hut restaurant. He lost his fight for life after choking on a grape last October 13th and passed away earlier that next week.

What should you do when your infant is choking?


If your child is choking, suddenly unable to breathe, cry, cough, or speak, he may be gagging call an ambulance immediately. If you would like to have a proper course of giving first aid, take an infant and child CPR course to learn and practice the proper techniques. These techniques differ depending on the age of the child, and doing them improperly can be harmful.

To find a class in your area, visit the Red Cross website or call (800) 733-2767 (800-RED-CROSS).

Please be advised that not only whole grapes can choke your child. Keep an eye on them when they are holding small toys, large chunks, hard candies, cough drops, nuts, and popcorn are potential choking hazards. Seeds may be too small to choke on but can get stuck in a child’s airway and cause an infection. Soft sticky foods, marshmallows, jelly and peanut butter.

Please share this to all other mommies.

"CARE IS AN ABSOLUTE. PREVENTION IS THE IDEAL."


If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

You Might Also Like

20 comments

  1. This is scary, I've seen this post in FB, good thing my son is not into grapes when he was still young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omigosh i had no idea. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ever since clyde eats solid, he always reach out for grapes and i let him eat with supervision naman. this time with dave, ill remember to cut them in half, better to be safe than sorry. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My zd loves grapes, everytime he eats grapes I always on his side to guide him. nakakatakot kasi whew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nabasa ko to! And it was scary! Imagine maliit lang na prutas yan pero napakadelikado kung tayo magiging maingat. Hindi kame madalas kumain ng grapes. Pero I'll make sure na mababantayan ko ang mga kids or hihiwain ko yan for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I read about such an occurence in the news (sa US nga lang). I agree delikado yan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scary! We really need to be careful in feeding our kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know I was really scared when I read about that viral post because grapes are my son's fave fruit. We should always be vigilant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My gosh, this is dangerous talaga. We should really be more careful about what our kids put in their mouths. Grapes pa naman favorite ng son ko.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember almost choking because of grapes! lol! Thankfully, my son isn't so much into grapes but I'll make sure to remember this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw this on FB too and good thing because we're starting to introduce grapes to my baby girl.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can personally attest to this. Got the biggest scare of my life when my boy choked because of green grapes. We didn't even feed it to them. My husband had a bowl on his home office table and somehow he managed to climb up and devour some. He gave some to his twin sister too but it was him who choked. Good thing he was able to spit out everything before things went bad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Better be safe than sorry. Life is so precious.

    Xoxo
    MrsMartinez

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for this very informative post. I never knew na grapes pala could be so harmful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've seen this on FB and OMG, I now watch over my kids eating grapes haha. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a helpful article. Thank you forsharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh that's so scary! Earlier today and yesterday Avis was just eating grapes. She just turned one but really knows how to chew and doesn't swallow until she's thoroughly ground them. But still! This is probably why it's best to squish and cut them na lang even if it'll take more effort. Thank you so much for sharing! Will be pinning this so other moms can see!

    Iris @ Earth Love Skin
    www.earthloveskin.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm really careful when it comes to feeding my kids. As much as I want them to eat grapes (with proper precaution), they refuse to do so :( Thank you for sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for this, i havent introduced grapes to my little one yet. Thanks for the heads up

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so paranoid when it comes to small food that my son can possible choke on. Especially when he was younger. That's a very good tip to cut grapes in half!

    ReplyDelete